The timeline below illustrates actions taken by SCA Pharma as we navigate the situation. Also included are CDC Guidance alerts (red), government actions (green) and special announcements (yellow).
SCA Pharma Coronavirus Response
- One new case of COVID-19 since last update.
- Reminder and evidence provided to all employees regarding the value of masks, distancing and hygiene as primary protection against COVID-19.
- AR employee had not worked since 8/25-no contact tracing required.
- No changes in operational standards
- No new cases of COVID-19 since last update.
- Infrared walk up temperature scanners are being installed this week.
- SCA is doubling the amount of PTO that can be carried over to 2021 in response to the pandemic. We are increasing it from 5 days or 40 hours to 10 days or 80 hours.
- Workforce needed to quickly scale up COVID-19 case investigation and contact tracing activities, including specific job roles.
- Provided guidance to jurisdictions on measuring the success of case investigation and contact tracing activities. Suggested process and outcome metrics are provided.
- Managing investigations during a COVID-19 outbreak in congregate settings, correctional facilities, workplaces, healthcare settings, schools, and homeless shelters.
- Leadership thanked the direct labor force for coming to work everyday during a Pandemic. SCA is paying a bonus to employee’s with at least 80 hours of paid time, including PTO.
- Hero Banners placed at both locations
- Second Windsor employee tests positive for COVID-19
- HR follows up with people who called in sick to do a health check and assist with access to SCA’s supporting benefits
- Issued Return to Work guidelines
The National Guard organized a donation of hand sanitizer to the Department of Public Health from SCA to be distributed to medical personnel on the front line of the COVID-19 fight at recovery centers around the State
- CDC is closely monitoring a novel (new) coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak. See its background, source, and spread, and the latest on the situation in the U.S.
- Redefined SCA’s cleaning program to allay fears regarding the first case of COVID-19
- Emphasized the importance of PPE and personal hygiene
- Mandatory masks
- First confirmed case of COVID-19 in Windsor. Initiated protocols for a confirmed case, reviewed log books, video footage and conducted interviews to make an initial determination of employees that may have been in close contact with the individual. Asked individuals who worked directly on the batches produced with this colleague to self-isolate.
- We received a micro market cooler, twice the size of our existing cooler, allowing employees to buy food from the market and avoid going to the grocery store.
- Encouraged Cleanroom employees, including Material Sanitizers, Aseptic Cleaners, Aseptic Assistants, Expeditors, Compounders, and Pharmacists to wear sterile masks outside of the cleanroom environment.
- Leadership shared letters from grateful SCA customers
- Introduced temperature screening for everyone entering the facilities
- Added a second shift in the Chemistry Lab and split the first shift in two to ensure we have coverage in case of illnesses
- Received 6 outdoor picnic tables from our landlord to help spread out employees
- The Governors of Connecticut and Massachusetts affirm that pharmaceutical services are essential business
- Announced Government stimulus package
- Hired an additional custodian to clean the facility throughout the day, including all door handles, conference rooms, tables, etc.
- Issued letters to all employees to travel to/from work as we are essential workers
- Moved non-production staff to remote work to limit potential exposure of essential production staff
- Modified PTO policies
- Began implementation of social distancing measures, (i.e. spacing workers & staggering work schedules)
- Limited large and in person meetings by utilizing video conferencing where available
- Increased cleaning and disinfection of common workspaces
- Cancelled all business travel, conferences and tradeshows
- Developed an internal action plan if an employee contracted the virus
- Provided strategies to optimize supplies of facemasks in healthcare settings when there is a limited supply.